Bacteria Tests: Odors and Tastes in Your Drinking Water

For those who live in a house that has a well, it’s a pretty common place for the water in the well to develop a slight smell or taste. This happens to about 10-15% of homeowners with wells yearly in New Hampshire.

There are a lot of factors that could play into your well having an odor or taste. Some odors could be the result of illegal dumping from a corporation, and some others are caused by the well going unused. Many who buy or sell a home are also including a neglected or unused well in the package. There will almost always be bacterium in these wells which can cause both.

There is a simple test that can be done with the help of your friendly local well company and once the problem is identified, the odor and/or smell can be removed from your well. A bacteria test can help give you an idea of just how much bacteria is being dealt with. Knowing the amount could tell you what needs to be done in order to solve the problem.

Once you have identified the problem and the bacteria you’re working with, you can begin the process of chlorination. However, there are times where even this doesn’t get rid of all the contaminants that are in your well. If it doesn’t cover it, often times a filtration system will be put into place to make sure your water is as clean as possible. While filtration systems can be pricey at times, they would eliminate the worry of having to deal with bacteria and other contaminants.

Tastes and odors in your water can be dangerous. The bacteria growth can do bodily harm if ingested, so it’s a good time to think about your well water and what it could be doing to your body. If you have questions about your well or tests that can be done to it, give Northeast Water Wells a call today!